Position Title: Certified Coder
FLSA Status: Hourly
Type of Position: Full-time
Department Name: Client Management
Reports To: Revenue Cycle Coding Manager
The Certified Coder is responsible for reviewing, analyzing and code diagnostic and procedural information that determines Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance payments. The primary function of this position is to perform ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS coding for reimbursement. The coding function also ensures compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Obtain copies of chart notes, reports, electronic medical records, and any other necessary records for purpose for review
- Comply and communicate deficiencies that impact the billing process
- Review documentation needed to clarify or complete the information required for compliant coding and billing of services performed
- Follow production and quality Standards for coders as established
- Ensure that documentation meets the rules as mandated by CMS and Altruis policies prior to release of a code for billing
- Develop daily/weekly communication with Coding Manager concerning coding issues
- Provide comments/suggestions relative to weak areas identified in the coding reviews
- Provide trending deficiencies to Coding Manager as appropriate
- Respond in a timely manner to questions from providers, department representatives
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
- Maintain compliance with rules and regulations regarding coding
- Constant reviews of incoming Charts to ensure compliance standards are met
- Ability to work within a team environment and meet monthly goals
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ongoing coding guideline knowledge is required
- Advance knowledge of medical terminology, abbreviations, techniques and procedures
- Advance knowledge of medical codes involving selections of most accurate and descriptive code using ICD-10-CM and HCPCS
- Advance knowledge of medical codes involving selection of most accurate and descriptive code using CPT codes for billing of third party resources
- Skill in correlating generalized observations/symptoms (vital signs, lab results, medication, etc) to a stated diagnosis to assign the correct ICD-10-CM code
- Extensive knowledge of official coding conventions and rules established by American Medical Association (AMA), and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and practice management systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience interacting with personnel (clinical staff and finance/management/administration)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player
- Adherence to strict confidentiality
- Able to plan, analyze and prioritize workload
- Meet deadlines and function independently
- Three (3) + years’ direct coding experience and in depth Coding and HIPAA regulations for physician offices, Clinics, Outpatient Centers (Ambulatory) and FQHC strongly preferred
- Experience across multiple practice management systems, clearinghouses, and payers strongly preferred.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Coding Certification is a Requirement (proof of up to date certificate) from AAPC, PHIA, and AHIMA
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE JOB
- Frequently remains in a sitting position at a desk to perform duties.
- Frequently communicates with co-workers, customers, and contractors/vendors in person, on the telephone, and on the computer.
- Frequently works in a well-lit room.
- Frequently views the computer to perform duties.
- Frequently uses the computer with fingers and hands for documentation and communication.
- Occasionally stoops, bends, or kneels.
- Occasionally exposed to outside elements when traveling for business.
- Occasionally required to push and/or pull objects.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Competitive salary and incentive bonus commensurate with experience along with Fortune 500 level benefits.
To apply send your resume to email@example.com.